Now we have finally had a little of the promised snow I'm even more glad I got round to making these fat 'hangers' (for want of a better name) for the birds. In case anyone wanted a peek here they are finished.
I melted down some fat that I had been saving in the back of the fridge each time the Chap had a meat roast at the weekend. A couple of small yoghurt pots were the ideal size. Fill about 2/3 with mixed bird seed and pur fat over. Stir to ensure the fat is all the way down the pot - any parts not covered will crumble off when you take them out of the mould. If you have enough fat at the top you can put a little more seed in, just as long as they're properly covered with the fat. I stuck them in the fridge to set.
Once they had set I heated a metal skewer over the gas ring. Pushed it through the unmoulded lumps and then fed thin string through. I used a couple of those wooden coffee stirrers and tied them on in a cross to make a little perching area. Ta daa - hopefully they'll be a little help to our feathered visitors. :-)