Monday 14 June 2010

Thai Green Curry Coconut Noodle Soup

As inspired by a visit to Wagamama where I had the kare noodle 'Itame' - tofu option which was gorgeous. Wagamama describe it as "rice noodles in a spicy green coconut and lemongrass soup topped with stir-fried chicken or fried tofu, beansprouts, chillies, red and spring onions, bok choi, peppers and mushrooms. garnished with coriander and lime".
Mine was nothing like it but hey - you gotta try these things right?!

TGCC Noodle Soup
Handful mushrooms - I used bog standard white closed cap ones as that's what was in the fridge but straw mushrooms would be more authentic. Sliced - I used 6 but only needed 4 really.
0.5 bag beansprouts
Handful cooked frozen prawns - defrosted
Sweetcorn - 2 small handfuls
1 layer / nest noodles
1 400ml tin coconut milk
[Up to] 5tbsp thai green curry paste - I had Blue Dragon's
1 tbsp oil
0.5 tbsp fish sauce
0.5 tbsp sugar

Fry the *paste off in the oil for 30ish secs.
Add the coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar, stir and bring to a simmer for about 3 mins until all dissolved.
Add mushrooms, sweetcorn and noodles and simmer 2-3 mins.
Add beansprouts and prawns and simmer again, up to 2 mins / until prawns thoroughly heated through.
Serve with both a spoon and chopsticks.
*The jar said 3 tbsps or up to 5 for a hotter taste. I don't like things too hot as I like to still be able to taste the actual flavours but found 5 cut through the richness of the coconut milk better.
Now whether I simmered too much and so reduced the coconut milk more than was ideal I'm not sure but this was pretty thick and very rich with the coconut a bit overpowering, hence me adding the extra curry paste - although I ended up doing this at the end rather than the start. Although not really bearing any resemblance to what I was served in Wagamama's it was very good. I had the rest for lunch the next day and added a little veg stock at this point to make it more like the 'broth with bits in' that Wagamama produced, and that seems more oriental to me.
I'd recommend making it to the consistency you like - I'd deffo add stock next time for my taste, keeping an eye on how much it had thickened to enable me to judge the amount of stock needed.
The flavours in Thai Green Curry are fab though so give it a whirl - don't be put off by the word 'curry' as this does not in any way have to be a hot dish. It's also relatively inexpensive - the jar of paste I got from Scumerfield only cost £1 and has lots of servings. Better value than buying the ready mixed sauces.
Oh - and if like me you have a jar of pickled ginger in the fridge remember to actually add some yeah?! :-D Doh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments!!!!
Thank you for reading. I read all my comments and am trying to get better at replying to them too. :-)
Lovely to have you pass by. Be shiny. :-D