Tuesday 6 July 2010

In praise of the gastro pub

Being from a bit of a foodie family I get to visit gastro pubs whenever a birthday crops up, or a visit, or... well you get the point. Frugal it aint! However, there is much to be said for an occasional visit as a treat if you can.
Saturday we visited a new one; The Greyhound Inn in Sydling St Nicholas, a very small, very pretty village in Dorset, for my eldest big sis's b'day. The food was lovely with an extensive fish specials board and another for meat specials. Being unable to memorise the entire thing I photographed it as we were reposing in the sun in the garden. I had the Smoked Haddock Chowder from the starters selection but as a main course, something the pub were more than happy to do. It was gorgeous with mussels in the shell and several good sized scallops in a fantastic flavoured broth with wine and cream in. Yum!! Definitely a pub to add to the list we decided. The staff were friendly and attentive, even thinking to come and warn us a big group were about to order if we wanted to get our orders in first. If visiting I'd think about booking , especially in winter when everyone will be sitting indoors. All in all highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments!!!!
Thank you for reading. I read all my comments and am trying to get better at replying to them too. :-)
Lovely to have you pass by. Be shiny. :-D