Wednesday 13 October 2010

Chinese-Takeaway-Leftovers-Soup [or a bowl of noodly goodness...]

This started with me looking at the scant 1/3rd portion left of my previous nights prawn chow mein and wondering how it could become a more satisfying meal. It ended up growing exponentially based on what was in the cupboards and freezer.
I commenced thinking I'd add some stock and soy & fish sauce to make a noodle type soup then I started checking the ingredients list on an (empty) jar of Thai green curry paste and adding what I had of those. Then it needed bulking out a bit so a fridge / freezer raid for fresh ingredients was in order. Then...

Leftover noodle soup
Oil - a flavourless one - tiny bit
1tsp / 1 clove minced garlic
0.5tsp chopped dried lemongrass [or fresh if you've got it in]
0.25 tsp cayenne
0.25tsp turmeric [was on the *TGC list but not sure it added a lot other than colour.]
1tsp fish sauce [Nam Pla] plus another 0.5tsp to counter the too strong soy - see below
0.5 pt veg stock
0.5 pt water
0.5tsp sugar
Mushrooms - 1-2 regular, I used half a big field shroom
Beansprouts - handful
0.5 tsp soy sauce [I have the dark strong stuff and this was too much so beware!]
0.5 tsp lime juice
0.5-1 fillet raw white fish - in small chunks
Last nights Chinese takeaway leftovers [Prawn Chow Mein]

Heat the oil gently in a saucepan big enough to take all the ingredients. Add the garlic and cook lightly. Add lemongrass, cayenne and turmeric and stir well to combine.
Add fish sauce then stock and water. Stir sugar in to dissolve.
Pop in the mushrooms and beansprouts and bring to a gentle simmer.
Add soy sauce - as mentioned above my dark strong stuff was too much - you want to use a light one or far less of the strong one - add a few drops at a time and taste as you go.
Add lime juice then the fish chunks. This was where I added the extra fish sauce as well - hopefully this won't be needed next time.
Finally add the chinese leftovers and cook on a gentle simmer so the fish is cooked and the noodles and prawns are safely heated through properly.

Couple of things - this really was crying out for the addition of a little grated fresh ginger but I didn't have any. :-(
If there's no leftovers in the house just make with a regular pack of noodles and ensure they're cooked properly in the broth. Maybe start them first before adding the fish, depending on the firmness of fish you have.
Omit fish and prawns and it's veggie. :-)
Happy days.
*TGC - Thai Green Curry

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments!!!!
Thank you for reading. I read all my comments and am trying to get better at replying to them too. :-)
Lovely to have you pass by. Be shiny. :-D