Tuesday 16 November 2010

Rescuing the Ash-e-jow, or a blow-by-blow account of the spices in my cupboard

Not all the spices in the cupboard though - I'm realising there's a few too many in there!

You may recall I wasn't so enamoured with this Persian soup I made last Sunday. I thought it was bland and needed some flavours to 'lift' it. In no particular order and with no quantites then I added:
Cayenne Pepper
More Turmeric
Garam Masala
Ground Coriander
Mushroom ketchup - it needed some 'depth' to the flavour
A good 6+ tbsp tomato puree - the concentrated kind from a tube
Ground cinnamon - a little only - got this idea after reading a comment online from a similarly disatisfied maker
Lime juice - ditto

This turned this into a deeper, complex and warming dish, with a little fresh edge from the lime juice. Very nice indeed and considering I didn't measure anything pretty well judged on the warmth from the Cayenne front. It was probably a couple of sprinkles / sploshes of each thing; other than those specified.
I wouldn't make the straight Ash-e-jow again but I'd use the pearl barley with these flavours for a rib sticking warming winter stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments!!!!
Thank you for reading. I read all my comments and am trying to get better at replying to them too. :-)
Lovely to have you pass by. Be shiny. :-D