Monday 24 May 2010

Oaty Cookies

Whilst my experiments with cooking with oats have been a solely savoury journey so far and will remain predominantly so I'm certainly not averse to a little playing with the sweet stuff. :-D
This recipe was labeled as 'Healthy Oat Cookies' - I can only assume they're alluding to the dairy-free spread listed rather than the sugar content but it sounded a good basis for a quick simple cookie recipe I could make for the bakeathon my work was holding for charity.
I changed some of the ingredients around and personally found the cooking time / temp totally inadequate though that may be more to do with my oven than the recipe. Here's my version:

Oaty Cookies - preheat oven to gas 3/170
100g butter
50g light brown sugar [or whatever you've got]
2tbsp runny honey
0.5 - 1 tsp ground mixed spice
100g self raising flour
100g oats
50g candied peel and crystallized ginger chopped fine

Melt the butter, sugar and honey together in a microwave.
Weigh flour and put in sieve. Weigh oats and add peel / ginger to it and stir well so the fruit doesn't stick in lumps.
Sieve in flour, add mixed spice, oats and peel/ginger and stir well to combine.
I found the mix a little dry at this point so added a splash of water.
Put spponfuls of mixture on greased baking tray, flattenuing slightly and put in oven for 15 mins. After 15mins have a look and see they're not even vaguely 'golden' looking so turn gas up to 4-4.5 and put in for another 7ish mins.
Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.

Nice but I wish I'd seen the comment a user had put on the original recipe about these continuing to harden as they cool. Mine did finish up a bit hard, I think a combo of the cooking time and the dryness of the mix. These were more like a biscuit then a chewy cookie. My oven does seem to be a little unreliable at the lower temps so next time I think gas 4 for 10 mins and a little more butter or a splash of milk in the mix.
I'd like to try these using ground ginger in place of the mixed spice with pieces of chopped crystallized ginger. There's infinite variations you can try really, dried cranberries could be a nice xmassy type, or orange choc for a rather less healthy version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments!!!!
Thank you for reading. I read all my comments and am trying to get better at replying to them too. :-)
Lovely to have you pass by. Be shiny. :-D